A Quilt of Friendship
BSP Ottawa Chapter
Ontario Sigma Ottawa #RJ1982
a Blended (Online Format) chapter
Beta Sigma Phi has a long and rich history in the Ottawa
Established in Ottawa in 1937, in 2014 we made history
as the first "Blended" (online format) chapter to be a member of
Ottawa (or any) City Council
Home | Chapter
Operation | About Online Chapters
- We got our charter in August, 2014, and as of now have eight members, with
room for more! We'd love to have you join us. Please see below for more
information, and to contact us. :)
- This is a chapter of Ottawa City Council, with dues paid to CC,
operating as a "Blended" chapter ("Online" chapter format
in a "Land" chapter), as approved by the BSP Executive Council in
- Online aspect allows those who can't get to meetings to participate in
a chapter, earning time towards progression
- With the aging population, and the growth of computer use, it is
expected some members may wish to transfer to this chapter in the future,
without giving up membership in Ottawa BSP, when they can no longer go out to
- Officers can be any of the members
- Meetings are held once per month, 2nd Wednesday to 3rd Wednesday of
most months, adjusted for holidays as needed, via a private mailing list, open
for at least one week, so there would be meeting times available for all
- Socials are generally held once per month, varying times and at
accessible locations, so that all could participate as much as possible
- Members benefit from the flexibility of an online connection, with the
added benefit of local City Council functions, including rituals in person
(or online if a member can't be present)
How it works...
- Friendship, sharing and a monthly online meeting, online program and
social, and optional in-person social is the focus of our chapter.
- A mailing list (in which one email to the "list" goes to all
those "subscribed" to the list) is our method of discussion and
our method of holding meetings online, and sharing information.
- There is a business meeting most months online, taking place over a
week (2nd Wed to 3rd Wed), to allow participation on each member's schedule.
All that is required of members is to sign in on an attendance web page each
month. It is also hoped members will take part in the program and social online
as well, even if it's just a comment that it has been read. We have decided to
forego meetings in July and August, but plan to hold socials those months.
- We plan to hold monthly socials where the members can meet in
This will maximize our social time at in-person gatherings.
- We hope those who are not already members of Beta Sigma Phi will
choose to join the organization, and stay in this chapter. :) We gladly
welcome visitors to check us out - please request your
visit using the form below.
- For more information, please visit the links below:
Beta Sigma Phi in Ottawa: www.bspottawa.ca
Beta Sigma Phi International:
Online Sigma Chapter: www.bspsisters.ca/ols (Our "template")
(Online Sigma is an international chapter with members all over North America,
started in 1999)
- Membership form (can
be printed and mailed, or
online at the BSP International website)
- There are a few special rules governing online
chapters, one of which is we do not have a treasury - so no chapter
We will pay our annual dues to BSP Ottawa City Council each year, set for
2017-18 at $14 per member.
- Each member pays their personal annual dues to the BSP International
office, currently $45US.
(First year only: $69US, includes degree pins for life.)
- Many members use their online chapter meetings as "make up"
meetings for attendance in their land chapter. Having visitors join us for
a monthly meeting will help spread awareness of this new type of chapter.
Please use the form below to request your visit.
- Because we'll "live" online as a chapter, there will be a
passworded, "Members only" area of our website.